Saturday, June 20, 2009

They Make It Hard

So my kids have a secret!

Its more of a trick so to speak!

I am not convinced that it is unlike any other trick that kids pull to get out of something they don't want to do but all the same it is a sneaky trick!

My kids, every night, after i lay them down to bed to finish watching a movie get up a million times.

They don't get up to use the bathroom...

They don't get up to ask for a drink...

They don't get up to have mommy kiss a boo boo...

Why then may you ask?!?

My kids get up for a hug!!!

Now this may not be odd to anyone. I am sure there are a million other kids who do this same thing. However, I am struggling with my ways of handling this properly.

Marcus seems to think we should tell them no and to go get in bed. I would go with that if i didn't feel like the worst mommy ever for telling a 3 and 4 year old that they cant have a hug.

At the same time how can i correct this behavior if i cant tell them no. How may hugs are ok before i cut them off?

I really feel tremendous Mommy Guilt (and don't act like you don't know what Mommy Guilt is!) if i tell them that they cant have a hug until the movie goes off or that i already gave them a hug tonight.

This can sometimes go on for hours. A tedious balance between hugs and frustration that they wont stay in bed. Why can't it be simpler with them like the glass of water that i could just say no to? Of course the i suppose i would feel like i was making them thirst to death!

So how would you handle it? Would you say no to these faces?

No comments: