Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sione's Birth Story

So before all the excitement wears off and i forget anything i need to get this down and i know some of you are waiting to read it so i dont wanna keep you waiting long.

Thursday evening my sister called and ask if i wanted to go to the mall with her so she could get a new outfit to wear to a birthday dinner for her boyfriend. I said sure and so we went on a 3 hour shopping spree walking around (well i waddled she walked lol).

She dropped me off at the football field where Marcus and the kids were around 5:45 and i went to sit on the benches and call my Aunt to tell her how my NST had went earlier that day. I talked to her for awhile and while i was talking i thought i felt like i was leaking fluid.

I got off the phone around 6:30 and started to walk thinking maybe if i was leaking that would give me a sign and stop it or something. Instead what i got was a semi small gush of fluid when i stood up. So i called my husband off the field and told him i was calling the midwife and we were probably going to head to the Birthing Center.

After talking to the Kim the midwife we decided to meet at the birth center around 7:15. When i got there they did a speculum exam to see if i was indeed leaking and checked me to see how far dilated i was.

The first PH test came back inconclusive but i was dialted about 4 to 5 cm so they had me go walk for about twenty minutes and then redid the test. This time they definitely saw the ferning of the amniotic fluid meaning my water was definitely leaking and i was most certainly dilated 5 cm.

At this point the gave me my first dose of antibiotics and told me to order some food or wait til my first does was over and go out to eat because at 11 they were going to break my water. So we did as told. We ordered some pizza and when i finished my first does of meds we ran to his sister's house (which was right around the cornor) to get some movies to watch.

When we got back another lady had also shown up with her water broken. So we were sharing the birthing center (which thank God has multiple birthing rooms) with a very sweet couple who i swear had every member of their immediate family there.

So at 11pm they broke my water and told me to just relax and walk when i could. I did walk for about an hour and half around the parking lot and center then came in so they could give me my second dose of antibiotics.

Around 1 am we laid down to try and get some sleep. I doesed on and off between contractions for about an hour. At 2am the contractions had picked up so i decided to go ahead and walk around while Marcus got some rest.

At 3:30 am i woke the midwives and ask if i could take a hot shower because my contractions were getting harder to breathe through and the hot water might help me relax. They told me to go ahead and got the shower ready while i let Marcus know what I was doing.

At 3:45 am i emerged from the having back to back intense contractions. All i could do was sway and moan (Marcus said i sounded kinda like a cave man lol) through them. I was only getting about a minute between then and they were intense (wish i could use another word but painful just doesnt seem right even though it did hurt).

The midwife started my last round of antibiotics at 4:15 am and checked me. I was dilated 8 almost 9 cm and it was the worst part having to lay down to be checked. It helped to bend my knees and roll side to side. I tried to get up and sway some more but from about that time on the contractions were pretty much bringing me to my knees.

At about 4:30 i began to have th eurge to push so i laid down and they checked again. I had a little lip of cervix left so they told me to roll over on my hands and knees and see it i could hold out for a few more minutes.

At 4:35 am i began to really feel the urge to push so they told me to let them check for the lip and see if i could push it out of the way. So i laid on my back grabbed my knees and pushed as she pushed the last bit of cervix out of the way.

At 4:40 am i began to push. I truly understand now why they call it the ring of fire. The midwifes just kept telling me to use the pain as power and movtivation. Marcus was holding me and stroking my hair. He kept telling me how great i was doing. We had planned to video tape it all but i am so glad he chose to stay with me instead. I could not have done it without him. After only 10 mintues and 4 pushes Sione' was born at 4:50 am.

He was laid on my tummy and he opened his eyes and looked at me. I touched him and just couldnot believe he was here. He never did really cry but he was breathing fine on his own. He imediately started rooting around while they allowed the cord to pulse until it was done.

I wish i could say the worst was over but unfortunatly i started to hemerage a bit. After they cut the cord and the placenta was being deliverd the nurse took Sione' over to weigh him and clean him up a bit while they worked to stop my bleeding.

I dont remember much from this time on. I remember hearing them say Sione' weight 7lbs 13ozs and i remember them trying to get me up to go pee (they said sometimes relieveing the bladder can help with the bleeding) and me telling them i was too tired. Then apparently i passed out. I was given several shots of something to help me clot and after about an hour they got the bleeding under control.

So i scared the crap out of everyone (especially my husband) but in the end i and Sione' are 100% healthy!

I could not be more thrilled with my birth expierence and i could not have done it without the 2 wonderful midwives Kim and Becca and the wonderful nurse Susan! They were so supportive and kept me calm and informed the whole time. They did not take any unnecessary steps and they did everything they could to give me the birth i had always wanted.

If you ask if i would do it all again (barring the fact that Sione' will be the last lol) i would say yes! I would do it a million times again if the results would be the same. I have a healthy, handsome baby boy and i am healthy and happy as well.

What more could a girl ask for!

6 comments:

Mel said...

Congratulations!!! What a great story. I'm so glad that you and bebe are doing well. I'm so sorry to hear about your bleeding though. Glad they were able to get it under control. I can't wait to see more pix of Baby Sione. HUGS!!

Laura McIntyre said...

Aww honey , what a lovely story. It is so empowering getting the birth you always wanted isn't it.

The last bit is kinda scary but it all worked out so well.

How is the feeding going ? Have you managed to see anyone about the latch issues?

Brittany said...

Oh gosh it sounds like you had a great experience !!! And you did it all without an epidural or any kind of drugs !! You are my new hero lol. I actually really would like to go natural next time with a midwife like you did. Of course I will probably need you to push me through it but I did feel the ring of fire when I had Kaci my epidural was turned off 2 hours before I had her so I felt a good amount I think I could have done it without. But yes the ring of fire is EXACTLY how it feels lol. What a beautiful story...I wish my birth story was this awesome. I barely even remember it they had me so drugged up from that magnesium. Bleh hopefully no pre-eclampsia next time and I wont have to endure that poison !!!

Brittany said...

Oh gosh it sounds like you had a great experience !!! And you did it all without an epidural or any kind of drugs !! You are my new hero lol. I actually really would like to go natural next time with a midwife like you did. Of course I will probably need you to push me through it but I did feel the ring of fire when I had Kaci my epidural was turned off 2 hours before I had her so I felt a good amount I think I could have done it without. But yes the ring of fire is EXACTLY how it feels lol. What a beautiful story...I wish my birth story was this awesome. I barely even remember it they had me so drugged up from that magnesium. Bleh hopefully no pre-eclampsia next time and I wont have to endure that poison !!!

Mom24 said...

I'm glad things are good now. Scary.

I was surprised they broke your water, that's something I would have thought they wouldn't have done in a birthing center--my ignorance. It sounds like they were wonderful--I'm so glad you were able to come close to your wishes for the birth.

Congrats again!

Alexandra said...

what a great story! I have yet to post mine and it has been about 4 months...lol. i was also surprised about them breaking your water...I always thought midwives strayed away from that....did they have a reason?

congrats again! I am so glad everyone is doing great! I wouldn't have wanted to be your husband when you passed out :)